Saturday, October 20, 2012

Day 20: How to Learn to Cook

Before I was married I had an amazing ability or rather inability. I couldn't boil water.

I know some of you are looking at your screens, mouths agape. You've tasted my cooking and it is nothing short of delicious. I say that confidently. I'm now quite the epicurean queen, but it hasn't always been so.

After I got married (7 years ago this month!) I decided it was time to clean up my act and learn to cook. I burned a lot of food during those days, but I learned how to cook. The secret to cooking isn't perfect seasoning, or exotic ingredients. The secret to cooking is confidence. I realized that cooking isn't very hard if you know a few secrets and it is even easier if you believe that you can cook.

So you're asking...what does this have to do with overcoming fear? 

Fear steals our confidence. Fear makes us believe that we aren't capable and even if we are there is no use in trying. I felt this way about cooking for along time. Confidence changed that.

I decided that I wasn't going to be defeated by food and so skillet and butcher knife in hand I conquered it. I've found that being fearless isn't all that different. When I choose to let fear overtake me I'm saying that what God says about who I am in Him is untrue, in Christ we are MORE than conquerors.

Confidence not in myself, but in Christ is key to facing down our fears. I've learned to cook because I can trust in myself. Lessons in learning to fear-less don't always come so easy because I have to jump confidently into the arms of Christ.



Tomorrow: Day 21: Talk to Yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...