Friday, October 19, 2012

5 Minute Friday: Look

Every Friday a group of us, led by Lisa-Jo, write and we don't worry about if it is just right. We do it for the love of words and story. We do it because we believe that we all have something to say...and sometimes that something only takes 5 minutes of bold, uninhibited writing. Join us! 

Topic: Look
GO! 

...and just like that her eyes flash...and there she is. I wondered if she would show up somewhere under the long lashes and caught up in brown eyes. I see her there staring at me in my daughter. My mother. I could count a million times I wished that I could see her these past sixteen years. Me, the girl who never stops. The girl who can't sit down for more than 5 minutes chasing around a girl who can't be still for more than 5 seconds. We're a pair, and I lean hard on grace to cover us. Cover us when that look of fear and desperation comes over me, when that I-just-wish-I-could-see-my-mama one more time washes my eyes with tears.

But with one look I see her...



She's a brown-eyed beauty and my mama was a blue eyed lass, but somehow their eyes shine the same.  It amazes me how her eyes can mimic my mom's with just one look. The way she cocks her head and squints the eyes. The way she looks over her shoulder and grins determined. A look that sends me back to childhood and a lifetime ago.

We are bound together by DNA, but it is the strands of love woven in our hearts that bind us best. Love woven nearly three decades ago between another mama and another baby girl. A look that binds up and heals all that this broken world let break hard. Lifetimes come full circle.  Love made of more than double helixes's and microscopic swirls of DNA. Love made of the strongest stuff there is. Love bound up in sideways glances and toothless, squinty eyed smiles. Love that doesn't look a day over 9 months.


STOP! 


Five Minute Friday

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jessica! The fleeting glimpse of a loved one from your child's eyes is so beautiful and amazing. I lost my dad as a kid and there are so many days where I see my dad looking at me through my son's eyes. Your mom is watching over you and your gorgeous daughter, especially in those parenting is wonderful and oh-so-tough moments.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...