Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Day 24: Addicted to Fear

This series is called "31 Days to Fearless", but if I am totally honest there are days when I'm not interested in fearing less. If I am honest sometimes a life of fear feels safer than a life of freedom from fear.

I worked in crisis pregnancy for several years and many of my clients were victims of domestic abuse. These women lived in a cycle of abuse, in and out of relationships that were harmful to themselves and their families. Abuse was the norm and in some ways it was their comfort zone. The idea that a man would love them and their children selflessly was outside of their thinking.

If fear is our struggle it can often be our comfort zone no matter how detrimental to our whole life.

Sometimes I don't fight fear because it feels like the safer route. It is familiar. Sometimes I'm just plain lazy. Sometimes it is an excuse not to live the fullest life. An excuse not to do the work of life and live it to the fullest. Fear is like any addiction it locks us in patterns of thinking that convinces us that freedom is more frightening than living under fear's deadly weight. 




Tomorrow: Day 25: Thanks Living

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...