Friday, May 17, 2013

5 Minute Friday: Song

We're taking off for a whirlwind trip this coming week, but not before I write my 5 minutes of bravery. I get together each week with a gaggle of writers and we let our fingers be the guide and we write for 5 minutes with no backspacing or editing. We take the challenge to write without worrying about it being just right. Come join us!

My 5 Minutes on "Song"

You sing over us with soaring notes of hope. We are the less than useless. We are the children so much less than deserving. Yet you sing. You sing long and hard when our hearts are frozen hard.

She didn't want to eat her dinner last night and begged with alligator tears for another option. I shook my head and said the stern words. She pounded baby fists and kicked little feet. What a sight it was.

I sigh. 
You sing. 

Earlier in the week I pounded grown-up fists and kicked big girl feet and prayed silent prayers. You keep singing and finally that song found it's way to my ears and into my frozen hard heart.

When I have long ago silenced my song and turned my back You keep singing. Long after my head has drifted to sleep your song keeps metronome time through the night- singing over all my broken and busted. You sing peace over my pieces.


Five Minute Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...