Friday, October 5, 2012

Day 5: My Fear of Flying

I hate flying on ariplanes.

Weeks in advance of a flight (Allume ladies, you can start praying for me now!)I start mentally, spiritually and emotionally preparing. I hate every second of air travel right down to the tiny plastic cups and peanuts. I can't sleep on a plane. I can't do anything except stare straight ahead and take deep breaths. If the plane has one of those t.v. tracker things I watch the plane on the screen like a hawk as I desperately wish it closer to my destination. I love when the pilot says, "Looks like we're going to make it to our destination a few minutes early." If I wasn't fairly certain I'd be arrested and banned from air travel (would that be so bad?) I would run to the cockpit and plant one right on the plane's captain.

That is how much I hate flying. 

When I am 35,000 feet in the air there is absolutely nothing that I can do to protect myself or save myself if something goes wrong. I can't help but roll my eyes at the safety instructions during the beginning of the flight. I mean, let's get real. This seat belt isn't going to really help me in a plane crash or in turbulence that is strong enough to unseat me. I am the ultimate cynic on a plane.

 It feels unnatural to me. It feels out of control. The root of all our phobias and fears is the lack of control. We don't like the idea that we aren't in control. I dare you to think of something you are afraid of that doesn't have it's roots in this fear of not being in control. Despite my intense dislike of flying it is a necessary evil in this missionary girl's life. Planes take me to places that change my life, expand my world and give me opportunities to live the life God has dreamed into my heart.

If I let this fear of not being in control- which is the root of my fear of flying- then I will miss out on all that God has for me. I have to give God control and admit that I never had control in the first place if I'm going to live out my dreams and even bigger; God's dreams.

How has fear "controlled" your life? How have you let go of this need to "control"?




Tomorrow:  How Fear Holds Us Back

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...