Wednesday, October 15, 2014

{Day 15: Chasing Light} Where I Worship

I used to think that worship is what happened in a room full of others with voices lifted high. Then I began to think that it happens when you stand awed on a cliff's edge at sunset.

Now worship looks like like loading a dishwasher.

Worship is what I do when I set aside my own wants for another. 

The hem of my shirt wet from the edge of the sink, picking bits of food out of the drain. Browning hamburger at eight in the morning so that a crockpot can simmer supper for my clan all day. Loads of laundry constantly cycling again and again world without end. A tiny girl needing cuddles and potty training.

There are days when I want none of it. I want to sit and write or run and hide. 

Then God says to me that the greatest love is to lay down my own life for another.

When I am doing the work of love I am doing the work of worship.

Because we have to ask ourselves if it is real worship when there is no sacrifice? If our worship is only in the mountain top moments then what is it we worship?

I am guilty of worshiping ease. 

If our praise doesn't come with sacrifice then maybe we are worshiping the gifts. The Giver of life sacrificed His life for us and is worthy of worship. But then you read on and He asks us to do the same. We are commanded to take up a cross and follow Him in the brutal work of dying.

He claims that somewhere in the midst we will find worship. We will find dying let's our breath be pure praise.

The light filters through the window and finds me singing with pruned hands, elbow deep in soapy water. This is where I worship. Hair falling down, disheveled, serving a meal, washing a dish, worshiping my King.

Where do you worship? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...