Thursday, February 13, 2014

5 Minute Friday: Garden and Love

Sometimes we just don't have words. This week I've found myself speechless a few times. I'm so thankful that I can come to this space and pour out words. On Fridays I join with the Five Minute Friday community to spread my wings and words.

This week is extra special and I want you to first go and read about the amazing thing that the wonderful Lisa-Jo Baker is doing with her voice and her platform. Scared is the new brave and I love how she is shamelessly using her words to do something God-sized. Please consider how you might take part! 

Lately I've been combining my two favorite online communities on Friday by also writing for The Grove Meetup over at Velvet Ashes. In case you missed it one of the 10 things I learned in January was that I one of my life's joys is helping women connect who are serving around the globe. Velvet Ashes is a place that makes that very thing happen.

First watch this video to find out more about the community that is taking flight over at Velvet Ashes. 


So here goes nothing on the prompts "Garden" and "Love".


There is an over grown garden plot down hill from our house. A neighbor has tilled it over with his tractor a couple of times this year, but the weeds come back and since we're just passing through we've not cared. This house, trailer, whatever it is, is a gift for now. A place that we've called home while we've searched for a more permanent place to plant roots.

We've lived here for nearly a year and I came ready and willing to be a new kind of brave in search of community. I was tired of being the rootless one and since we'd come here with the hopes of staying awhile I didn't waste any time in finding a friend or two to share a cup of tea with.

It is the very love of God that grows a community. 

This has been a heavy couple of weeks. A tragedy one week and awful news of the most heartbreaking kind the next- all right here in this new community. All of it happening among women I had no knowledge of ten months ago.

It's made me realize that gardens can grow quickly when they are kept diligently, when they are tended with vision and heart. 

Tonight the untended garden lies buried under a half foot of snow and the moon stares wide-eyed down on the red roof of this borrowed house. I type out words and I feel the ache of living in community, but that ache is so full of love.

I am full of the knowledge that I need the women that I've found here. I need them to show me how to keep tending my plot of life when my arms get tired and the ground seems hard. This week has shown me that they need me too.

If we are to have any hope that our children will learn to farm and grow love of their own then we have to figure out how to spread our roots to reach each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...