Friday, November 30, 2012

Capture It. Now.

I pulled a piece of paper from the desk. A blank slate for holiday planning. Gift giving. Parade watching. Light capturing. Stocking hanging. Cooking baking. It all has to be squeezed into a month that is filled with the rest of life. Now is the time to begin taking time. Right. Now. Before it gets away. Capture it. Now.



Today is December-Eve. Advent Eve. Tomorrow begins the the countdown to Christmas. 25 days to be mind-full of the gift that God gave to all in a tiny babe's clothing. Last year we lit a candle a week for Advent. The idea of Advent isn't new. I know many of you are light years ahead of me on this one, but I do think that the slow down and the counting of the days during this rushed season is revolutionary. It speaks volumes about what we value. I want to value Christ above all. I hope that is your heart too. Let's make much of Christ for the next 25 days and every day after.

This year I am making an Advent calendar that I hope will span the years of our little family. My husband and I have had several conversations on what we want to make the holidays for our family. We both want to be intentional about entering into the season with Christ at the forefront. The best place to start making these holidays more holy is by making each day more holy.

  • Start an Advent calendar (Reminder: It doesn't have to be fancy!)
I'm no expert on Advent activities. This is a learning process for me as I work to shape my families traditions into something that has eternal meaning and value. All I know is that this season isn't about how many deals we get on Cyber Monday or how beautiful our tree looks. That is all well and good, but it isn't eternal. Jesus, God is with Us, the Great I am come to save sinners like us. That's the good stuff. The stuff that we can pass to our children forever. That is the glorious that is in the mundane of life and infinitely worth pausing and celebrating during this season.

Add your own favorite Advent traditions in the comments! How do you stay mind-full during the holidays?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...