Monday, October 27, 2014

Why We Might be Looking too Low {Day 27}

I've been chasing light quietly away from my computer. I was at the Allume conference over the weekend and I was filled and wrung dry at the same time.

In another universe I would have been way ahead on the 31 Days posts, but in this universe? The one I live and breathe and potty train a toddler in? It just wasn't happening.

I'm back at home in my glorious ordinary with dishes stacked high, a wheezing washing machine and a new scented candle to cover up that smell I can't seem to track down.

This is my life and the messy middle of where I chase light. 

I was inspired this past weekend by something one of the Allume keynote speakers said. Confession: I was super tired in the evenings while at the conference. Chalk it up to not enough caffeine and a wee baby growing in my belly (hadn't you heard?) but it was all I could do to track along with the evening speakers.

As I zoned in and out of consciousness at Timothy Willard's keynote I managed to catch one thing. I'm constantly looking for God to show up right in front of me in my plain old everyday. I think that is good. I think He is very present. However, Tim asked us to allow our gaze to be drawn upwards.

Some days those dishes, and my friends illness, and the rattle in the front end of the car are all a bit much. If we aren't remembering, yes God is with us in all of the details, but He is also over all of them.

God is gloriously high above our dirt stained earth problems. 

We are an entertainment obsessed culture. We want to be awed, but our threshold for being awed has increased until it is almost entirely out of reach. God wants us to be awed by Him. The One who carved with His finger the canyons and coaxed the mountains to rise up into the sky. He calls us beloved and longs for us to stare at Him with the wonder of it all.

Light offends. Stare into the sun and you will be blinded.

I wonder what a steady gaze above to the truth of our God, mighty to save yet gentle to stoop, would do for our everyday.

"I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my strength come?" Psalm 121:1

If we could see Him with us in all and arching His love over all then maybe we would start walking and living in a way that pours itself out from the overflow of who He is and not our limited humanness.

Do you see God over all the little in your life? Tell me your story of being in awe of God.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...