Tuesday, October 28, 2014

We're Each Others Light

She sits alone in a darkened room. The light barely peeking through the window is just much for her eyes, her heart. She turns away and burrows into heavy pillows and blankets and buries the pain, hurt and the exhaustion. She shivers cold in the dark of it all because the heat of blankets can't warm the coldness of a body, a soul living far from the Light.

We've all had moments as this woman. Some of us have had more moments and more struggles with depression and darkness wrestling than others. There is no place so dark that the Light, the first Light that was called from the darkness, can't find a way in. We are the way in.

Me and You. Sisters.

We are the conduit to get Light into the darkness of those around us.

Darkness isolates and bullies and we have to be the voices, the candle holders, the lamp lighters that drive away the dark for each other.  We can find each other in blackened through and through places.

Miscarriage, babes who won't sleep through the night, disease wrecking a body, a marriage on the cliff's edge, are all places that we can find each other slipping into the darkness.

I need my sisters. I need to be seen by them. I need them to know when I am stumbling toward the darkness. I desperately long for them to speak truth and invite the Light into my life.

There are times that I don't want the Light. It's the same feeling you get when your eyes have grown accustomed to the dimness and a light is suddenly turned on. You shrink back. You long for the darkness because the light requires too much of you.

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
John 1:5
I've experienced the pull of those in the Light. They call me out. They wrap me up in truth and remind me that the Light is warmth and peace. The Light is my greatest need.

How have you been drawn into the Light by others?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...