Thursday, September 12, 2013

(in)Mercy Project for Mercy House Kenya

I'm helping to kick this off as we celebrate the 4th Birthday of (in)courage: Home for the Hearts of Women and what better way to celebrate then with gifts for those who need them most? Keep reading friends, this is exciting stuff...
 
I shouldn't have to tell any of you how over the moon in love I am with what Mercy House Kenya does for mama's and their babes.

But maybe you don't know my story well enough...

Let me share a bit. My hubs and I returned from Liberia, West Africa expecting our first daughter a little over two years ago. While in Liberia I had the great joy of supporting women through pregnancy and childbirth as a maternal health advisor. Back here in the States I am a birth doula and childbirth educator. Put simply I just adore supporting women through the journey of pregnancy, birth and new motherhood.

Mercy House is truly providing hope, health and mercy to mamas in Kenya.  I love it.

Mercy House Kenya is right up my alley. I adore what they do and would love to see it up close and personal. {hint, hint Kristen Welch}

When I saw what (in)courage was planning to do to support Mercy House Kenya I was all "Where do I sign up?!" This fall (in)courage is partnering with bloggers to raise nearly $75,000 to fund multiple projects at Mercy House Kenya.

I'm going to be live tweeting along with a few other amazing ladies from the Allume conference to raise the necessary funds to purchase a back-up generator.

When I lived in Liberia our only electricity was from a generator so I know their value. Electricity is a luxury in many parts of Africa and even when there is a grid it isn't reliable. The purchase of a back-up generator means the Mercy House residents can get all of their household duties done without worrying about losing power. I speak from experience- this is a BIG deal!

More on this phase of the project later! 

There are four other projects that are going to be launching throughout the fall including raising funds for a new van, computer lab, classroom space and last but not least a second home for Mercy House! As my Liberian friend Blama would say, "This is no small ting (thing)."

The first phase kicks of today and we're trying to get a new set of wheels (a big ol' swagger wagon to be exact) for the mamas and babes of Mercy House. 

How can you help?
  • Set up a Pure Charity account and donate! Pure Charity is a great way to redirect a bit of funds from your online purchases (Think Christmas shopping!). Read more about how to do that on their "How it Works" page
  • Share this post! Share it with everyone you know on facebook, twitter, pinterest! Wherever you find yourself socializing on the interwebs...share it!

I will be sharing periodically about these projects for Mercy House Kenya all fall. Please join us as we dig deep to make hope a reality for the women of Mercy House Kenya!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...