Monday, October 1, 2012

Radiant in the Blessing

This post is pulled from the archives of a diamond in the rough and edited. It is a favorite of mine full of reminders of God's love and provision through the sweet sisters He has put around me. 

She winged her way down South deep below the Mason-Dixon. She rented a car and drove a treacherous stretch of I-85 just to see my little family. I think she must have read these words and taken heed because she loved well and this new mama's heart was filled full. She showers us with love. Sweet kisses for Millie, a cup of coffee for Millie's mama, a homemade pot of deliciousness for the whole family. A sister (in spirit if not by blood- and who's to say what ties are deeper?) who can rest assured that she always has a place in my family.

It is a rainy Thursday as I lug a car seat into an almost empty coffee shop. The wee one is asleep- can it be? We sit across from each other and cup hot beverages and share four layers of cream cheese frosting and cake. We talk family, we talk life's unexpectedness, we speak truth. The truth aches and it heals and the scars remind us that in Christ all things are being made new. I share about the sleepless nights, the sweet midnight moments, and the hard grace that I'm learning to live- choose joy and find the sweetness in life I say. She listens wide-eyed and heart open and I find my shoulders relaxing and my eyes seeing a bit clearer.

I've juggled car seats, screaming babe slung tightly, and shopping basket for 2+ hours of sweat, tears and an aching neck. I look battle weary to say the least when she arrives- hair falling down, mascara smeared, weary eyed. She arrives with no expectations and simply says, "I just wanted to hang out with you." Hang out with me? Yes, please. Carry my baby for a few minutes? Yes, please. 

She calls me every few days just to check in. How are you doing? How is little Miss? We laugh. I cry. She listens. I treasure these phone calls from a sister and friend. I treasure that fact that she has been there, done that, and knows that this too shall pass- but reminds me to soak up all the sweetness while I can.

All these sisters have gathered close to bless and dispel that voice that whispers in my midnights, "You are alone." They cook dinners, cradle my sweet wee one, call on the hard days and tell me that those circles under my eyes aren't nearly as dark as I think they are. Their love amounts to a summons to joy in my life. These women, walking in the mire and muck of this life right beside me, choose to bless and oh, how they bless and they are radiant in the blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...